Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stephen Skacall Signs Oath for Vote on Taxes

As a taxpayer, I understand the burden that tax increases can place on Americans from all walks of life. We Oklahomans are blessed with an economy that is the envy of many other states. Unfortunately, that blessing is overshadowed by skyrocketing sales taxes and looming increases to the state income tax. As your candidate for the Oklahoma State House of Representatives, I believe that we should all have a say in whether our taxes our raised.

I don't want to leave our tax decisions up to 149 people in Oklahoma City. I want the tax decisions to be made by the people who really end up being affected by them: you.

I support amending the Oklahoma Constitution to require all increases to the state sales and income taxes to be approved by the voters before they go into effect. I also support the same amendment to the US Constitution. If you elect me to the Oklahoma State House, I'll do everything I can to make sure that your voice is heard when tax time comes.

Because of my beliefs, I have chosen to take the following oath to the people of Oklahoma, which is based on the oath of the Vote on Taxes Committee:

I solemnly swear to the citizens of Oklahoma that if you will vote for and support me, I will, during my term in office, agree to vote for and support the citizen’s right to vote on new taxes and spending as follows:

I will vote for and support the Vote on Taxes Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which:

1. Requires a majority vote of U.S. Citizens before implementing:

a. New federal taxes or an increase in existing federal tax rates

b. An increase in federal expenditures in excess of a spending cap equal to the base year adjusted annually by the sum of inflation and population change

c. A new mandated expenditure of state or local government unless fully and contemporaneously federally funded

2. Requires a majority vote of U.S. electors in three-quarters of the states to ratify an identically worded amendment proposed by two-thirds of the state legislatures.

3. Makes provision for any state or local elected official or government entity to choose either a bench trial or binding jury trial when interpreting the Amendment.

4. Has no spending or borrowing limits for the direct cost of conducting a war that threatens the existence of this nation.

If I am elected before the Vote on Taxes Amendment is adopted, I solemnly swear to vote as if it were adopted so long as I am in office. I will also support a similar amendment to the Oklahoma Constitution and will make that amendment a key legislative priority while in office.

So signed,

Stephen Skacall
Candidate for State House District 61

No comments:

Post a Comment