Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stephen Skacall to Run for House District 61 as Independent

Dear fellow Oklahomans,

Last year, several local residents began to encourage me to run for public office. The reasons offered for running were many, ranging from a lack of choices on the ballot to dissatisfaction with those currently in office. After several months of prayerful consideration and consultation with friends and family, I have decided to run for the 61st District of the Oklahoma House of Representatives. This will not be an easy campaign but it will be well worth the time, money, and effort required.

I believe in the people of Oklahoma.

The greatest threat facing our state, as far as I can see, is partisan politics. We vote for Republicans until we become dissatisfied with them and then we vote for Democrats. Then after a few years we become dissatisfied with the Democrats and start voting for Republicans again. The problem is that our elected officials are no longer accountable to the voters; they're accountable to the party leaders in Oklahoma City and Washington. That is why I have chosen to run as an Independent. The Panhandle deserves an independent voice in Oklahoma City, one who will be loyal to them rather to the leadership of a political party.

I pledge to run an honest, issues-driven campaign. I know that the people of Oklahoma have many good ideas that should be heard in the Legislature. Because of that, I invite every voter in the 61st District to send me their ideas so that I can hear them, consider them, and act on them. I have some ideas of my own, too. As your State Representative, I will push to repeal the sales tax on food items. I will work hard to keep rural hospitals open. I will see to it that our veterans are treated with the dignity and respect that they deserve. I will do my best to make sure that our high school graduates are truly prepared to enter today's workforce. But most importantly, I will fight to give the Panhandle the voice that it has so long gone without.

In the coming weeks and months, I will be posting information relating to my platform and my position on the issues that directly affect the Panhandle. Again, I invite you to ask me questions and send me your ideas.

Thanks, and God bless!

Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment